Friday, May 28, 2010

A Treadle Darkly

Working on this treadle wheel feels like I take one step forward and two leaps back. The last post I said that it was finished and I was getting ready to actually make some pottery on it. Well the next day we head into the studio to find that some time since we left the day before and arrived that morning someone had taken it upon themselves to break it (probably not on purpose, they probably stepped on the flywheel which broke my “awesome” JB Weld job). Anyway, today I go in hoping to catch our friend Maki so she can mig weld the “weld” that broke. Which we do and she does weld it for us, although after she has finished and left for Alaska I realize that the other JB Weld has broken (from the heat or something else I don’t know) and now I’m stuck with an almost finished treadle wheel. It seems that the driveshaft has been giving me the most problems, when I thought it would be the easiest part. That will show me to think something is easy before even trying to do it once. I think the hardest part for me is knowing that I have to rely on other people to weld these parts for me, if I could and had the equipment to do it I don’t think I would be as upset. Well, I guess welding gear is a good investment for the future if I plan on building my own equipment. I’m going to try another approach to the driveshaft, I’m going to use pipe instead of solid steel. This way I can use pipe elbows to make the ninety degree turns that I need for it to be a treadle wheel. I think I might try to do that tomorrow, I’m already feeling better about going back to work on this rollercoaster of a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment