Sunday, May 23, 2010

Post #12

I just wanted to give an update on the T.A.R.D.I.S. and the treadle wheel, since it’s been a while since we talked about them. The T.A.R.D.I.S. first, the mission has been scrapped at least for a little while. We got a little busy with the end of the semester and accidentally let the slabs dry out to much. This is okay with us because we have come up with another way to make it that will involve much less carving, and will (hopefully) make it look better. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of knowing who Doctor Who is here is a link to Wikipedia’s Doctor Who page.
Now something completely different (the treadle wheel). We ran into a little problem with welding the drive shaft together, meaning we didn’t realize that we didn’t have the gas to weld with. Although we were able to get our friend Maki to weld part of it, we had to resort to J.B. Weld (a type of epoxy for those not in the know) for the rest of the “welding”. I think it will be strong enough to take the strain of treadling. This means that I will finally (this time I really mean it) get to put the whole thing together this week (I’m hoping tomorrow) and give the wheel a spin (or treadle...).
I will post some pictures of the finished wheel and the start of the new T.A.R.D.I.S. within the coming week. In the mean time please in joy this drawing done by my wife of the future me and our two hypothetical children:

No comments:

Post a Comment