Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And the Treadle Marches On

The treadle wheel will be finished this week (I have to keep reminding myself this, because I need to move on to other projects). Truthfully I am looking at finishing this project tomorrow; I just have to glue one more piece of metal into the frame and then make the seat (which I don’t see as taking that long (he says knowing he will regret it later)). So today I attached the drive shaft to the wheel head and to the flywheel, and it all spins nicely.



Here is a photo of the driveshaft; the part that is offset is what makes this a treadle wheel as opposed to a kick wheel.



I also made the piece that attaches to the foot peddle and to the driveshaft, I have used an old leather belt, some screws, a piece of two by four (cut in half and laminated together). In this picture there is a piece of metal bar sticking out of one side, I have since removed it because it was too long, I have replaced it with a hinge that I had lying around.



I also have cut the board for the foot peddle, attached the piece that attaches to the foot peddle to the foot peddle and to the driveshaft as well. I will have this project finished and will post pictures of the first pots that I will throw on this treadle wheel by Friday (I promise).

1 comment: