Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sun Seeds and Promises of Art to Come...

So, I roasted all the sunflower seeds that I harvested so far, and it turned out to be quite a bit.  I took some photos of the process from picking to final roasting.


This first photo is of all the seeds that I got out of the largest of all the flowers so far.


I then soaked the seeds in salt water (about 1/2 cup of salt to 1 quart of water) over night.



Here's a close up of the soaking seeds (because I know you guys like that sort of thing).


Then I laid them out on to a sheet pan and baked them in the oven at 350 f for about 30-45 minutes, shifting them around every once in a while to make sure that they toasted evenly.


Then they were toasted and it was time to enjoy the seeds of my labor.  They were quite tasty, and not as salty as the store bought variety, which I enjoyed.



On another more artistic note (I just realized that the last 5-6 post have been about food and not art, I hope to correct this in the near future) Keturah has pulled out her water colors and started a large painting.  I also made her the water color board that her painting is stapled to (that's kind of artistic, right??).
    I'm headed to the Fire House to finish up those large pots that I talked about in a previous post.  I just need to trim them and add some texture around the shoulders to give them a little more interest.  I will post some pictures of them tonight or tomorrow.  I also have some ideas for making some lidded vessels that I will be working on over the next two days (my "weekend").

No comments:

Post a Comment