Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Who has Two Thumbs and Made Art Today, (points at self) This Guy.

Finally spent a some time in the studio today, and got some work done.  I've had this idea for making some lidded vessels floating in the back of my mind for a while, so I thought I would get it out and into some clay to make room for other ideas to float to the surface (hopefully).


The first step in making these lidded vessels was to get a piece of clay into a rough cone shape (with the smaller end on top).


I then took a piece of twine, rope, wire, or spring and cut downward multiple times around the piece of clay.  This was the look I had in mind when I thought up the idea (I'm sure I've seen a picture some where of this same/similar idea).



After I finished with the body of the vessel I started to work on the lid (or where the lid will be).  I did this the same way I cut the body.



On this piece I used a smooth wire to cut the planes.





This one I used a piece of twine, which gave it those vertical lines.



And on this one I used the twine, but I move it side to side as I cut downward.  This zig-zag pattern gives it a little more interest I think (at least a little more texture if nothing else).


Here is a (tilted) group shot of the three pots from above.  I made a total of six lidded vessels today.


After I finished cutting the planes on the lid I moved the pot to the wheel. This is where I cut the lid off and began making the solid piece of clay into an actual vessel (meaning it can now hold something inside of it).  I also hollowed out the lids at this time.


Here are all six vessels after they were hollowed out.


I then added a flange to the lids so that they would not just slide off the body of the pot.


Here is one of the lidded vessel finish (well almost, I still need to clean up where the lid meets the body).


And here are all six lidded vessels after I added the flange to the lid.  Just a little clean up left, so I left them over night to stiffen up so I don't deform them when I handle them.

I hope to make the next five or six posts strictly about art work (that is unless I run across a recipe that is really cool, like how to make homemade ice cream sandwiches...) to make up for the last five or six post that were about our garden and the food we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment