Friday, March 25, 2011

This blog is about our new garage studio, and how it came to be…

I started work on the studio by building a table to work on. It’s L-shaped to allow the most surface space for the limited floor space we have. In this photo you can see the table coming to life, I had to construct it upside down and on saw horses because that’s the only way I could think to build it.



Here the table has been finished, and I was feeling really satisfied with myself. That is until I realized that it was really heavy, and I had to flip it right side up before it would be of any use at all. So I had to devise some really clever way of flipping it by myself without breaking any of the legs off.



So while I try to come up with a clever table flipping idea, lets move on to the “damp room”. Which is not really a room at all; it’s just a couple of shelves that I decided to wrap in plastic (which I thought was pretty clever way of keeping pots damp). Here is a picture of the shelves, and as you can see I already have the plastic hung up behind and underneath them.



And with the magic of (a lot of) duct tape and some strategically placed velcro we now have a fully in closed damp “space” ready to be used.



Okay back to the table flipping. So I did manage to come up with some really clever way of flipping it (of course this was after several very unclever ways that almost ended up with the table in pieces). I also put canvas on the longer part of the table so it can be used for wedging and other things involving clay. While the shorter part was left with the wood showing so that we can use it for other projects such as wood working and so forth. So here is picture of the studio at the end of day one of construction (oh, I also added a shelf above the table, which should come in pretty handy). You can see the table, with the canvas on the far side, and you can see the damp “area” off to the right.



Tomorrow I am off to the city to buy some clay, and have some Pho. Right now I am off to make some pizza for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment