Friday, February 4, 2011

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like a Garden

So last Sunday Keturah went to a friend’s farm and picked up a truck load of manure for our garden (the truck (Shaniqua) was so loaded down it scared both of us). Although this was a lot of manure for the truck, the garden just seemed to absorb it. When I was done unloading it the level of the garden only grew by about an inch (I thought it would be a lot more). Seeing this I decide that a few more truck loads of compost (which would be free through the city) would help to fill it up. So I pack up and head over to the city compost center only to find out that they are completely out of compost, and won’t have any more until spring. I was devastated; I was really hoping to get the garden almost completely filled that Monday (I even bought a new wheel barrow for the job). The next day I wake up to find my garden completely filled


.... with snow.
This is what it looked like before (sans manure).

(Some of you might recognize the flywheel from a certain failed treadle wheel in the foreground.)

Flash forward to yesterday and I find out my in-laws know a man who has been letting people dump dirt on his property for the last ten years, and we can go and pick up as much as we want. It won’t be as good as the compost, but at least we can fill up the garden (and then amend it with compost and other sources of nutrients later). I’m excited to go and shovel a lot of dirt and some more manure (and then plant some plants (which reminds me that I need to get my seedlings started this week or next)). I’m now just waiting for all of this snow to melt, and a day off so that I can go and shovel some stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment