Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Water Shed Moment…


We’ve had these rain barrels for a couple of months now, and haven’t done anything with them except making a composter.  Which reminds me here is a photo of the finished composter.

I narrowed the base a little, and added two more floor flanges to the inside to screw the bars into that are on the inside.  It’s working pretty well so far, I will let you know more when we actually get some compost out of it.  Let’s get back to the main topic of this post.
We’ve decided to set up our rain barrel collection system.  When it’s up and running we should be able to store about 140 gallons of rain water.  We are going to daisy chain four barrels together, three 30 gallons and one 50 gallon.  All of the supplies that we got to set up the collection center cost about 130 dollars (that’s US dollars), it’s not that much when you consider it’s free water.  It’s also going to be great when the city of Norman puts severe water restriction on us because of the lack of rain fall, this means we will still be able to water our garden and grow vegetables during the strictest times.   I will try to take pictures of each step as I take them, and I will post them (hopefully) tomorrow evening.  My first step will be to hang the guttering, and then I will make a stepped stand for our daisy chained rain barrels so that they will drain into each other.  Check back again tomorrow night to see how far I got on this new project (hopefully I will be about finished with it). 

P.S.
I didn't get this up yesterday so just think of all the tomorrows as today's/tonight's (thanks).

No comments:

Post a Comment