Monday, February 27, 2012

Veggie Rotation

I’ve been working on an idea for a compost container for a while.  I’ve wanted one for a while and since the cheapest one I could find that I liked was about 100 dollars, I decided to make one myself.  I started by deciding on what kind of materials to use.  I thought I would use galvanized pipe for the frame, but when I looked into it using galvanized pipe would cost all most as much as buying a new composter.   I built a 3-D sketch in a free program called Google Sketch-Up, and instead of using galvanized pipe I made the frame out of two by fours.  I made the part that I would use to rotate the compost barrel out of galvanized pipe and some more wood.  



Today I started making the frame to the compost rotator; I took apart the entry way to the hoop house that I had made last year for the wood to make the new frame.  Here is a picture of the frame before I connected the two sides together.



I forgot to take pictures of anything before this point, but you didn’t miss out on much just a little bit of confusion as I tried to figure out what angles I needed to make this frame stand up.  Which it did eventually, as you can see here.



And here is a side view; from this angle you can see where I added some support at the top.  This is where the galvanized pipe will slid through and pivot the barrel.  Later I will drill holes through here, so that I can pass the ¾ inch pipe through and into the barrel.  I hope to finish this by this Friday, and have more pictures of it by Saturday.  I really look forward to composting all the vegetation that we go through in this house.



On another note I took a shovel and turned over our garden today as well.  I think the compost I got last year from the city has finally broken down completely; I will add some more compost and amendments to the soil before I plant this year in hopes of having a (more) productive garden this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment